It's that time of year when zucchini is in full-swing and you can neither take or give it away because there's just so much of it! One of my recent e-mails from Pinterest said zucchini was a top search item and for good reason as we're all trying to figure out what to do with it! My kids have a hard time eating it, except when it's grated and baked into something yummy like blueberry zucchini bread.
This blueberry zucchini bread recipe has been a favorite of mine for years and I've been working on it to taste just as good gluten free. This loaf rises and browns beautifully, is flavorful and moist, and keeps a nice crumb that doesn't fall to pieces when you touch it.
I've tried substituting applesauce for a portion of the oil, but it turns out the oil is essential in holding the bread together. Without the proper amount of oil, the bread gets very crumbly and falls apart. I like to finely grate the zucchini instead of a coarse grate. This helps keep the crumb together while maintaining the moisture zucchini lends to the bread.
Foods like fruits and nuts tend to sink really well in gluten free baked goods, so coating the blueberries in a little bit of gluten free flour will help prevent sinking. I also like to bake the bread for about 10 minutes and then place the topping on so that it doesn't sink either.
A little trick I like to use when baking in a loaf pan is to partially line the pan with parchment paper. This prevents the bread from sticking to the bottom of the pan and it also makes pulling the bread out a snap. I've had too many gluten free baked goods partially come out of pans, so this extra step is crucial in getting that full loaf out in one piece! I lightly spray the pan with cooking spray, lay the parchment paper down, and then lightly spray again.
Gluten Free Blueberry Zucchini Bread
- ¾ cup canola or vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup brown sugar packed
- ⅔ cup white granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely grated zucchini
- 2 ½ cup 375 g + 2 Tbs (reserved) gluten free flour blend
- 1 ½ teaspoon guar or xanthan gum omit if in blend
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups blueberries
- 3 Tbs butter room temperature
- 2 Tbs gluten free flour blend
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 Tbs brown sugar
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare a loaf tin by lightly coating with cooking spray and lining with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine oil, brown sugar and white sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and combine until thoroughly mixed. Add zucchini and stir until distributed.
- In a smaller bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Add flour mixture to zucchini mixture and stir until all of the flour in incorporated. Wash the blueberries and place them in a small bowl with 2 Tbs of gluten free flour and toss to coat the blueberries well. Gently fold the blueberries into the zucchini mixture, stirring only enough to mix the blueberries throughout.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin and bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine topping ingredients in a small bowl until crumbly. After the loaf has baked for 10 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle the topping evenly over the top. Place back in oven and bake for another 60 minutes, for a total of 1 hour and 10 minutes of baking time.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before removing the loaf from the pan to finish cooling.