For the last several years, my in-laws have graciously offered their land for us to plant a garden during the summer months. One of our favorite vegetables to grow is corn, although there is something about our climate or soil that doesn't lend well to producing the corn you typically find in a grocery store. We're some serious amateurs! While we had an abundance of corn ears, the size of each ear was pretty small.
While talking about the kinds of things you could make with corn, my father in-law mentioned he recently ate corn chowder. Mere mention of corn chowder was all it took to make it on my menu for the week! Actually, it made on there twice but it was mainly because the first time I used an entire large jalapeno and it was so spicy I could hardly eat the soup. Spice wuss here! So I had to make it again, with the proper amount of heat.
I love that you can serve this soup as a vegetarian meal...with a few simple alterations that is. First, and most obvious, omit the bacon and use a total of 3 Tbs butter to get your onions and peppers cooking. Then substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth and you should be good to go!
Serve with gluten free rolls or bread and you have a delicious fall and winter soup.
Gluten Free Creamy Corn Chowder
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 Tbs butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 small jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 2 cups peeled and diced in ½ inch cubes potato yukon gold or russet work well
- ¼ cup gluten free flour blend
- pinch of guar or xanthan gum omit if in blend
- 4 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 1 Tbs fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium gluten free chicken broth
- 2 cups half n' half
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese divided
- sliced green onion
- chopped bacon
- shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crispy (approx. 6-8 min). Remove bacon from pan and set aside. Chop when cooled.
- Reserve 1 Tbs bacon grease in the pan. Add 2 Tbs butter to pan. Add diced onions, red bell pepper, and jalapeno. Saute until the onions are translucent, approx. 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in gluten free flour and guar gum (if not in blend) and stir occasionally for 2 minutes. Pour in 4 cups of chicken broth, stirring well to dissolve the flours. Add potatoes, corn and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add half n' half and continue simmering for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese and stir until all of the cheese is melted and then turn off the heat.
- Serve approx. 2 cups of soup in each bowl, topping with remaining shredded cheddar cheese, bacon and green onions.