Do you have that one thing you have to make every summer? Like, summer would not be complete without it? We have two things in our home, and one of them happens to be this super easy homemade coconut ice cream, which I'm very excited to share with you! The other (if you're curious) is homemade fresh mint ice cream.
From a quick glance, it may look like regular old vanilla ice cream, but make no mistake! This is packed full of shredded coconut and coconut flavor. I promise, if you love coconut you will love this ice cream!
The best part about this coconut ice cream is how simple it is to make. You stir together a handful of ingredients and put it in your ice cream machine. Simple as that.
Before churning the ice cream in the machine, I like to chill the mixture for about an hour in the refrigerator. This step helps the ice cream solidify faster.
I have owned this ice cream machine for MANY years and will continue to until it no longer works. If it breaks, I will probably purchase something that will attach to my KitchenAid stand mixer so I have one less appliance to store.
- One 13.5 oz. can of full-fat coconut milk
- half n' half
- vanilla extract (make sure it's gluten free!)
- sweetened shredded coconut
- pinch of salt (this helps reduce water crystals)
In the picture below, toppings include Simple Mills Spice Carrot Cake Bars, caramel sauce, toasted coconut, and toasted almonds. I can't begin to tell you how delicious this bowl was! I ate it for lunch and felt no regret.
Other ideas would be hot fudge, chocolate magic shell sauce, any kind of berries, caramel, toasted nuts (almonds, pecans, peanuts, etc), toasted caramel, maraschino cherries, and whipped cream. Gluten free candy bars such as Heath, Snickers, M&M's or Butterfingers would be amazing too. The possibilities are endless...
If you made this recipe would you please share a comment below, share a picture on Instagram or Pinterest, join our Facebook group, or sign up for email updates below so you never miss a new recipe! I'd love to see your pictures!
Coconut Ice Cream
- 1 - 13.5 oz. can coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups half n' half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients through salt and stir until sugar has dissolved and all of the coconut milk clumps are gone. Add shredded coconut.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 1 hour to chill the mixture.
- Pour this mixture into your ice cream machine and churn according to the manufacturers directions. (I use a Cuisinart ice cream machine and it takes about 20-30 minutes to churn the ice cream).
- Place in an airtight, freezer-safe container and freeze until ready to use.
This recipe has been handed down and adapted from the great ice cream lover, Grandma Christine. We think of you every time we eat it and look forward to the day we get to see you again!
Hey there! Just As Good Gluten Free LLC participates in the Amazon Associates Program, which mean many outgoing links on Just As Good Gluten Free are affiliate links. After clicking on a link, I may receive a small percentage of the sale for referring you, which comes at no extra cost to you. This allows me to continue creating gluten free recipes for you! Many thanks - Amy