Do you have a favorite soup you like to make more than once or twice a year? Gluten free chicken tortilla soup is one of my favorites and almost always my go-to soup. When the weather starts to cool down in the fall I can't help but think of this soup.
Not only is gluten free chicken tortilla soup delicious, but it can easily be made for a crowd. In fact, we served it on Super Bowl Sunday in a crock pot with a topping bar on the side. It is such an allergen-friendly soup because you can leave the dairy off if needed, it's soy free, and if you check your chicken broth you can easily make it gluten free too. I find that children often struggle eating soup...do you have a similar experience? I will often serve this soup to my kids with a cheese quesadilla. It gives them something to scoop the soup with.
To make gluten free chicken tortilla soup in a crock pot, I would recommend sauteing your vegetables first on the stove and then add everything to the crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 hours. You could add the entire uncooked chicken breast and shred near the end of your cooking time.
There are so many toppings you can put on this soup too. My favorites are crunched up tortilla chips, cilantro, sour cream and shredded cheese.
Gluten Free Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- ½ - 1 jalapeno, diced (use according to level of spice you want)
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 cups chicken broth (gluten free)
- 2 cups water
- 1 - 14 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups frozen corn
- 1 - 14 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice
- 5 corn tortillas, sliced in ½ inch strips
- sour cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
- green onions
- pico de gallo
- crushed tortillas
- diced avocado
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add onion, jalapeno, and red and green bell pepper. Saute for 4-5 minutes, or until onion is transparent. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add tomato paste, cumin, chili powder and garlic powder and stir it into the vegetables, cooking for 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, water, black beans, corn, shredded chicken and diced tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low after the soup is brought to a boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Add sliced corn tortillas and cook another 10 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls with desired toppings.