Gluten free chocolate peppermint cookies are the perfect addition to any holiday cookie tray. Not only are these chocolate peppermint cookies gluten free, they're flourless too! No fussing with blends or gums, just a simple recipe that results in a brownie-like cookie. Soft and chewy on the inside and slightly crunchy on the outside. They have a decadent chocolate flavor which pairs deliciously with the peppermint candies.
These gluten free chocolate peppermint cookies keep their shape when baking and do not require pre-bake refrigeration, which is a bonus for gluten free cookies! From start to finish it's a pretty easy gluten free cookie to make. In 30 minutes or less you can make and eat your cookies!
I found Andes Peppermint Baking Candies in the baking isle at the grocery store, which is a seasonal item for us. I appreciated the fact they listed the candies were not made on any equipment containing gluten...a rare find these days when it comes to candy! The candies are softer than your typical candy cane, more like a crunchy peppermint-flavored white chocolate. I also noticed Ghiradelli made similar peppermint candies, and although they didn't seem to contain any gluten, were possibly processed on equipment that contained gluten. Either way, if you can't track down peppermint candies like these, break up regular peppermint candy canes to small pieces in its place.
Gluten Free Chocolate Peppermint Cookies
- ½ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup white granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup creamy peppermint baking chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Cream butter and sugars together in a mixing bowl or stand mixer. Add egg and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Add baking soda, salt and cocoa powder and combine well. Add peppermint chips and stir until just incorporated.
- The dough will be sticky. Shape into small balls, approximately 1 TBS worth of dough and place on prepared baking sheet about 2-3 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow the cookie to cool before transferring.
Recipe adapted from www.bakerita.com